Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Patreon for Venus Winston to present at IGMC

Local cartoonist Venus Winston has been invited to present her comic "Cooking with Cancer" at Dundee University in Scotland this summer for the Annual International Graphic Medicine Conference and potentially also University College London for its "Encountering Pain" Conference.

"This is an awesome experience, but an expensive one. So I have started a Patreon page to help with some of the travel expenses," she writes. "Any help from you all is greatly appreciated and patrons will be receiving artwork made by me for their contributions."

This project started in July 2014 as her own therapy, while on chemotherapy, she writes on her Patreon page.

"I lost my ovaries to cancerous Krukenberg tumors and it is my belief I survived by enforcing a healthy diet and mindset within my personal environment. 'Cooking with Cancer' has now grown into a collection of short stories, recipes and informative pieces focusing on my experience with cancer and how food can help beat illness."

Venus contributed a "Cooking with Cancer" installment in the current issue of Magic Bullet, the D.C. Conspiracy's free comics newspaper.

Courtesy of Venus Winston

No comments: