Thursday, December 12, 2013

Meet a Local Cartoonist: A Chat with Rajan Sedalia

Sedalia working on a caricature.
Rajan Sedalia was a volunteer caricaturist at the Cartoons and Cocktails fundraiser this fall, donating the cost of a sketch to the charity. A cartoon he donated also raised additional money. Sedalia has some creative urges beyond cartooning - recently The Washington Post outed Rajan as a yarn-bomber.

ComicsDC: What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?

I have an egg & sperm comic strip. It started because I am fascinated by the things we do, and things we say to camouflage those feelings.

How do you do it? Traditional pen and ink, computer or a combination? 

I always start with a pencil or prismacolor pencil. Then, I'll add black ink and go digital from there. I've been sketching on tablets, as well.

What neighborhood or area do you live in? 

I live in Brookland, and will be opening my studio within a few months. It will hold graffiti classes, live art and English as a third language class for dogs.

What is your training and/or education in cartooning?

I attended art schools and university in Ohio and Michigan.

Who are your influences? 

Chuck Jones and James Brown.

If you could, what in your career would you do-over or change? 

I would be born from wealthy, and well-connected parents.

What work are you best-known for?  

I don't know.

What work are you most proud of? 

Nothing.

What would you like to do or work on in the future? 

I would like to continue doing with I'm doing.

What do you do when you're in a rut or have writer's block? 

Exercise and take a nap.

What do you think will be the future of your field? 
His finished caricature of our beloved founder.

What future?

What's your favorite thing about DC? 

It's getting bike friendly.

Least favorite? 

De facto segregation.

What monument or museum do you like to take visitors to? 

I enjoy them all, particularly in the warm weather.

Do you have a website or blog?  

www.artjar.com




No comments: