Thursday, May 07, 2009

Maryland cartoonist Carla Speed McNeil lost in Canada

Fortunately, she's retained her wit for this interview - "Toronto Comic Arts Festival 2009: Q&A with Carla Speed McNeil," Posted: May 06, 2009, 9:15 PM by Mark Medley.

At the end, Carla's pick for a cartoonist she'd like to draw like was a real surprise to me. I didn't see that one coming.

And for the real cartooning geeks, she actually answers this question:

What do you draw with?

Pentel mechanical pencil stocked with 2B lead, Zebra 303 brush pens, Pigma Microns for lettering and crosshatching. I do all my pencilling on sheets of legal-size typing paper. My image size is a good bit smaller than the standard 10" X 15" to fit into that size paper. I arrived at this size over years of experimentation, and found that it really clicked-- my line weight and my lettering just looked the right proportions at that size. So I do all my drawing on the cheap stuff, then use the lightbox to ink directly onto thin Bristol.

No comments: